Thank you for your interest in joining our Foodservice Team. Whether you are joining us for a few hours, or a few days, or if this is your 1st or 50th opportunity to serve, we want to say a big THANK YOU! Many hands make light work and it is so rewarding to be able to provide fantastic, delicious meals to our many guests and campers. You are an important part of making that happen, meal after meal, day after day, season after season.
Daily Volunteers: You are welcome to join us beginning at 7am, for as long or as little time as you are able! We take a break for Kitchen Staff Devotions with the Chaplain around 10:30am, then continue our work through the lunch hour when we stop for a long mid-day break from 2pm-4pm. Our time in the kitchen continues for dinner service from 4pm-7pm. There are many opportunities to join us throughout the day – and if you are able to stay for a full day, bring your swimsuit – we have pool time for our support staff and volunteers around 3pm.
Weekly Volunteers: If you plan to join us for a full week, accommodations will be provided in one of our Suites (please note that double occupancy may be required during busy weeks). If you can, plan to arrive on Sunday evening by 6pm to join us around the campfire while we introduce our staff and Chaplain for the week. We will continue our introductions and offer a tour of the facilities around 8pm following camper registration. As stated above, our daily schedule is as follows: 7am-2pm; 4pm-7pm. These times are directly related to our Foodservice operations, however our summer staff will continue to provide support to programming during the evening hours as well. Please feel free to join us in serving as much as you are able to! Our week ends with a BBQ lunch on Fridays (hopefully outdoors!) and some well needed deep cleaning in the kitchen and storage areas; we are usually done in the Kitchen by 4pm. While we will be sad to see you go – you may depart at any time on Friday.
Examples of Volunteer Foodservice Duties:
- Food preparations – washing, peeling, dicing, chopping large quantities of food items.
- Dishes – rinsing, washing, putting away of tableware; by hand or using dishmachine.
- Refilling – jams, condiments, containers, salt & pepper, napkins, etc. we us a lot of product!!
- Table Setting – setting up tables and chairs; placing dinnerware on tables
- Serving – carrying trays full with food at service times.
- Cleaning – wiping of shelves, tables, walls, ovens, sinks, etc.
- And many more exciting opportunities!!!
Here are some key health and safety points for all staff and volunteers in the kitchen:
- Long hair should be tied back securely at all times.
- Short hair should be covered with a hat or hairnet at all times.
- Please wash your hands upon entering the kitchen and prior to handling food.
- If you feel ill, please do not come to the kitchen. Let someone know, take care of yourself, and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Running shoes or closed-heel shoes should be worn at all times (NO SANDALS)…we spend a majority of time on our feet, so quality footwear is encouraged!
- No tank tops are to be worn in food service areas. Please make sure to wear clean clothing.
If you are representing a church please contact Jody Godwaldt directly by email or phone (519) 623-4860 ext. 1,4
For everyone else please complete a Volunteer Application Form.